Monday, April 22, 2013

Dal Vadas / Crisp vadas with cabbage and lentils

This is a favourite recipe that I got from my aunt. Crispy Dal vadas with cabbage which is quite a hit every time I have made it. This is a fail proof recipe and since the soaking is just for an hour or so, you can easily add it as a starter in your menu, when you have guests over.

dalvadas

I made this for Ugadi and Tamil New year a couple of weeks back. That time I did not use onions and garlic, since we normally don't have it during any religious occasions. Tastes as good either way. The cabbage is really crispy in these vadas and you will not miss the onions, if you choose not to use it.

cabbage vadas

Cabbage and Chana dal Vadas

What you need -

2 cups Chana dal / Bengal gram dal
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 medium onion chopped fine
1/2 cup cleaned and chopped coriander leaves
2 green chillies
1/2" piece ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
oil for deep frying

What you do with it -

Soak the chana dal in water for about 1-2 hours
Rinse and drain out the water
Grind the chana dal along with the ginger, garlic and green chillies to a coarse paste
Do not add any water while grinding
Take this batter out in a large bowl
Add the onions and cabbage, chopped coriander leaves and salt
In a deep pan, heat the oil
Take a small amount of the batter and press it down slightly with your fingers to form a round patty
Slide it into the oil and allow to turn golden brown
Flip over and allow to brown on the other side
Remove and place on a absorbent paper
Serve with green chutney

4 comments:

Vani said...

Love aambode! I have this on my blog with dill. With cabbage is so yum too, not to forget added nutrition. Love, love your clicks, Arch.

Anonymous said...

Yumm.. they look so crisp! :)

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

I love these vada's, my friends mom who is from Bangalore introduced me to them before marriage. My neighbour makes them with dill.. but I have never had them with cabbage yet! These look super crispy and would love to have some with tea :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin