Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thalipeeth / Multigrain pancake

Thalipeeth is something I discovered fairly recently, maybe in the last couple of years. Its a Maharashtrian breakfast dish, extremely nutritious with all the different flours that go into it.

I have always bought out my bhajani thalipeeth mix from Bombay or I have my cousins bring it when they visit. When I ran out of it once, I tried using different flours, like bajra, jowar, ragi and wheat flour to make this instantly. If you'd like to make it from scratch, there is a recipe for that here, tried and tested by my cousin.

bhajanee thalipeeth

A friend of mine always brings back a whole lot of goodies every time she visits her parents in Pune, so I am well stocked with thecha - a super spicy red chilli and garlic paste and shengdana chutney - peanut and garlic dry chutney

The best way we enjoy thalipeeth is with thecha and some home made white butter - makes your taste buds come alive !

The blog now has a new page for Festive cooking - if there's something you'd like me to add in there, do let me know. Would be more than happy to learn something new and put it up here.

Thalipeeth -

What you need -

To make the mix from scratch

1/2 kg jowar
1/2 kg bajra
1/2 kg rice
1/2 kg wheat
1/2 kg whole mung
2 cups chana dal
2 cups urad dal
2 cups ragi / nachni
2 cups dhania / coriander seeds
1 cup jeera / cumin seeds

To make a flour mix instantly

1/2 cup each of wheat flour, rice flour, ragi / millet flour, besan / chickpea flour, jowar / sorghum flour
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder

Other ingredients

1 onion chopped fine
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
oil

What you do with it -

For making the flour mix from scratch -

Roast each separately on medium flame.
Cool, mix together and grind. Store in an air tight container
Take about 2 cups of this to make thalipeeth for 2 people

Add the onion, chopped green chillies, red chilli powder, salt and coriander leaves to the two cups of flour mix and make a dough using water. Cover and keep aside.
Heat a tava / griddle pan
This dough is not very glutinous, so you cannot roll it out with a rolling pin.
Grease a plastic cover with oil and then take a ball of dough. Flatten it with your fingers and then ease it off the plastic and put it on the tava
Make a few holes and drop in some oil into these holes, to make it crisp
To make palm-sized ones, grease your hand with some oil, take a small ball of dough and pat it down on your palm. Make a hole in the centre and then transfer to the pan
Allow it to cook on one side, adding a little oil
Turn it over and allow to cook on the other side
Serve hot with thecha / chutney and butter / yoghurt

5 comments:

Unknown said...

During winters, garam garma thalipeeth with white butter, pickle is a must :))
I also add a bit of poha to the 'bhajni'
Love the way u have plated them!

virunthu unna vaanga said...

very yummy thalipeeth... its my favorite n i too posted the thalipeeth on my space...
Tried Tortillas
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Lifewithspices said...

wow too good.. healthy flours combined.. grt food

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

uff you made me drool all over the pictures. though I have never had it but its been ages that I tasted Indian delicacies (other than cooked by me) so want a bit o this super yum thalipeeth with that hot hot pickle....

Archana said...

yum. I ned to really buy the stuff for making the bjhajani Have been planning to do so for ages. Kids love the thalipeeth. Thanks hopefully will make purchases tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin