Monday, September 3, 2012

Buttermilk pancakes with chocolate chips

Blogging has helped me in more ways than I can can list out. But I realised that its helped develop my son's foodie taste buds and expanded his food vocabulary.
For a couple of years now, anything with dal would be sambar and all side dishes were bhajis.
Ever since I made these lamingtons, he's been fascinated with the name and now insists on knowing the name of everything he eats. He loves anything sweet and the latest is Nutella, which he has been eating with everything including dosas. Waffles feature as breakfast at least 2-3 times a month and he loves them.

chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes

Thanks to SJ, I made pancakes from Joy the Baker's blog for our Sunday breakfast. I had tried making pancakes once earlier and I don't remember him liking it much. But these had chocolate chips in it and he loved them. He had it for breakfast and dinner and again for breakfast this morning

I used home made buttermilk - the whey from making butter at home. Followed the recipe straight from Joy's blog. Its really fast, easy and super tasty with some maple syrup. I guess pancakes should be smaller and thicker. Mine spread out a bit too much. These look like chocolate chip dosas !!

buttermilk pancakes

Buttermilk chocolate chip Pancakes
Recipe Source - Joy the Baker

What you need -

1/2 cup APF / maida
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 cup buttermilk (I used home made buttermilk)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 vanilla bean scraped / 1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
2 tbsp butter melted

What you do with it -

Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder and sugar
If using the vanilla bean, scrape it out and mix with the flours and sugar
Beat the egg into the buttermilk. If using vanilla essence, add it to the the buttermilk
Add the dry flours, along with the chocolate chips into the liquid and then add the butter
Mix well to make a thick batter
Heat a griddle pan / tava, with a little butter. Pour a ladle full of the batter on the tava and swirl it around a bit
Updated: Here's how you need to make it. Put 2 tbsp of batter and allow the it to bubble up. Then flip and cook till golden brown.
Serve hot with maple syrup

4 comments:

Indian Khana said...

I wish to have it ..I have something similar too in my blog ..nice pic

Unknown said...

Looks yummy. Love the idea of adding choc chips. Usually will have it with choc syrup

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Ohhh love the addition of chocolate chips. So far never made pancakes but these tempt me to try them out :))

Tripti said...

Love the new look :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin