Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Recipes from the Taj - Mamidikaya Pappu / Tangy dal with raw mangoes

Its been a while since I looked up this book of recipes from the Taj
I, almost always, land up cooking from some blog or some new recipes that Ma or my friends tell me about.

mangodal

The raw mangoes are in the market and there are some varieties of the ripe mangoes too, though they are ridiculously expensive now ! I love mangoes, but I can wait...A couple of weeks and the markets will be full of lovely ripe mangoes...

I picked up some raw mangoes last week and then decided on making this simple tangy dal with raw mangoes from the Taj book of recipes. Its really a simple dal and different from my usual ones. Going by the name, this recipe if from Andhra, but we Konkanis make something similar to this, called tauy kadi, though its been ages since I last made one

My son enjoyed the taste of raw mangoes in this dal and I think I should make it more often this season
This with hot rice and some curried potatoes made for a really nice lunch...

Mamidikaya Pappu
by Chef Balaje from Taj Coromandel, Chennai
Recipe Source - Chef's favourites from the Taj

What you need -

2 medium sized raw mangoes
1 medium sized onion sliced
3-4 green chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 cup tur dal / split pigeon peas
1 tsp salt

Tempering
1 spoon oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves

What you do with it -

Wash and cut the raw mango into big cubes
Wash and soak the tur dal
Cook the dal along with the onions, raw mango pieces, green chillies and turmeric powder
When its done, add salt and mix well
For tempering, heat the oil, add red chillies, mustard seeds and cumin seeds
When they crackle, add curry leaves and garlic
Fry till garlic is golden brown
Add to the dal and serve hot with rice

1 comment:

Mona said...

One of my most favorite dals, looks yumm!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin